External and Regular Users on all account types can duplicate Folders and Projects.
⏱ 2 min read
Duplicate a Folder or Project to quickly copy data from that Folder or Project.
Please note, this page is about duplicating Folders and Projects but you can duplicate tasks as well.
- Use the duplication features when creating Folder and Project templates.
- Comments from the original Folder or Project are not copied to the duplicated Folder or Project.
- When you duplicate a Folder: Subfolders, Custom Fields, and dependencies between tasks are automatically duplicated as well.
- When you duplicate a Project: Owner, workflow, start and end dates, Custom Fields, Subprojects, and dependencies between tasks are automatically duplicated as well. Project status is not duplicated and the new Project has a green status.
Duplicate a Folder or Project
- Right click on a Folder or Project from the left-hand Navigation panel in your Workspace.
- Click “Duplicate” and a pop-up will appear where you can choose how to duplicate the Folder/Project.
- Name the Folder or Project.
- Select a new location (optional). Specify the Folder/Project where your duplicated Folder/Project should be added. If you don’t pick a new location, your Folder/Project becomes a top-level Folder/Project.
- Add a prefix (optional). Text added in the prefix field is added to the beginning of the titles of all items within the duplicated Folder/Project (this includes subfolders, subprojects, tasks, and subtasks).
Check the boxes under “What to copy” to select what you would like to duplicate:
- Subfolders and subtasks: Copy all of the Folder or Project tasks and subtasks.
- Description: Copy the task descriptions as well as the Folder/Project description.
- Attachments: Copy items attached to tasks and to the Folder or Project info panel.
- Assignees: Copy task assignees.
- Custom Field values: Duplicated tasks will always have the same Custom Fields as the original tasks*, but you can check this box to copy data from the original tasks to the new tasks.
- Reschedule: Leave this box unchecked to make the task dates identical to the scheduled dates in the original Folder or Project. Check this box to set the start date of the first task or due date of the last task in the Folder or Project. All other tasks will be rescheduled accordingly.
- Click “Duplicate”.
*Custom fields inherited from top-level Folders, Projects, and Spaces won’t be copied if you change the Folder/Project location when duplicating.